Jan 9, 2014

Shelter

This summer I decided to build a shelter for the livestock that would draw them away from the barnyard and provide summer shade and a place to eat hay. The reason for this is that I don't want the animals in the barn, making a mess during summer which I later have to clean up.
To build the shelter on the cheap I decided I'd try my hand at timber-framing (very roughly) with wood cut just metres from where the shelter was to be built. I had some left over bit of steel roofing from the deck project as well as two building projects at the sugarbush so the dimensions were dictated by materials on hand. To cover the feeders which are now attached to each side of the shelter I used an old painted-steel shower that was all in bits in our loft. They actually work okay and keep the rain and snow off the hay. My father-in-law Jake made a funny video of the start of the building process and I added a few photos at the end of his video that show some of the rest of the process and the (nearly) finished product. I have yet to put a backside on the shelter but will do so soon - once some materials come my way!